Obtaining a VISA

Once your application to study at MFU has been approved, you will need to obtain a non-immigrant ED visa from the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate to enter Thailand. This visa will be extended once your study commences. In any case, DO NOT enter Thailand on a tourist or transit visa, as they cannot be extended to cover your period of study.

Required Documents:

1. Copy of the official acceptance letter, academic calendar, and a letter for your visa request from MFU.
2. Four recent 3×4 cm. photographs (less than 6 months old).
3. Copy of your passport-information page(s).
4. Medical certificate (less than 6 months old).
5. Visa fees.

Note: Foreign nationals on a student visa are not eligible to work in Thailand.

VISA Extension

Required Documents:

1. Certificate of student status.
2. Transcript (except for first year students).
3. Your real passport and a copy of the page showing your details (including photo).
4. Copy of your passport visa page (showing the visa expiration date)
5. Visa extension request.
6. Recent 3×4 cm photograph.


1. Three weeks before your visa expires, request a copy of your transcript and certificate of student status from the Registrar Division, which will cost 50 THB for each copy of each document.
2. After 3 days processing, return to the Registrar Division to receive your documents.
3. Contact the IAD, bringing your passport and the listed documents with you.
4. Wait 3 days for the IAD to issue your visa extension request.
5. Contact the Immigration Office with all listed documents and the 1,900 THB fee.

Note:You will be fined an overstay charge consisting of 500 THB per day if you do not extend your visa on time. The maximum charge is 20,000 THB.

Re-Entry Regulations

Students wishing to leave Thailand for any purpose must apply for Re-Entry at the Immigration Office. If they fail to do so, when re-entering Thailand, their visa will be cancelled automatically.

Required Documents:

1. Completed re-entry form (can be obtained from the Immigration Office front desk).
2. Passport.
3. Recent 2-inch photograph.

Note:  Fees for Single Re-entry 1,000 THB, Fees for Multiple Re-entry 3,800 THB.

90-Day Report

The Thai Immigration Office requires all foreigners staying in Thailand longer than 90 days to report their current address every 90 days, and must be done between 15 days before the due date to 7 days after.

Required Documents:

1. Copy of passport detail pages.
2. Copy of current visa page.
3. Copy of last entry stamp.
4. Copy of last visa extension.
5. Previous notifications of staying over 90 days.
6. Complete and signed notification form TM.47
7. Empty envelope with 10 THB stamp affixed with your postal address.

Note:  The 90 Day Report is NOT a visa extension! The process can be done by person at the Immigration Office or by post 15 days before the due date.

Note:  If you are late reporting to immigration, you may be prosecuted and/or fined 2,000 – 4,000 THB.

Immigration Offices

Mae Sai Immigration Office
117 Moo 1, Weng Phang Kham, Mae Sai, Chiang Rai 57130
Tel: +66 (0) 5373 1008 Ext. 23
Fax: +66 (0) 5373 1009 
Office Hours: 08.30 hrs. to 16.30 hrs.

Chiang Rai Immigration Office (VISA SECTION)
One Stop Service, Chiangrai Provincial Administrative Organisation
Near Mae Fah Luang – Chiang Rai International Airport 
Tel: +66 (0) 5317 5376
Fax: +66 (0) 5317 5377
Office Hours: 08.30 hrs. to 16.30 hrs.

Chiang Mai Immigration Office
71 Moo 3, Airport Road, Muang, Chiang Mai 50200
Tel: +66 (0) 5320 1755 Ext. 6
Office Hours: 08.30 hrs. to 16.30 hrs.

Bangkok Immigration Office
507 South Sathon Road, Soi Suan Phlu, Bangkok
Tel. +66 (0) 2287 3101-10
Office Hours: 08.30 hrs. to 16.30 hrs.